Wednesday 18 April 2012

Selection



Introduction: in this blog, I will find examples of three different selection methods used in an organisation, which I am familiar with and identify when they are used and why, along with the pros and cons. Next I will describe an interview that I have taken part in, and state if the interview was effective or not, then I have to make recommendations of an organisation I am familiar with and state how they can improve  selection process.

What is selection?
Selection process involves interviewing and evaluating potential candidates for a specific job role, and selecting an individual for employment based on job criteria. Certain employment laws have to be taken into consideration such as discrimination laws not to discriminate one regardless of their race, ethnicity or culture etc. The selection process differs it could be a quite simple process or a very long process depending on the company and job role.

Nationwide Banking Selection Process:
Nationwide Banking takes their selection process quite serious to ensure they recruit the right candidates for the job. The three different stages they as part of the selection process are:

-          Tests: are used as part of the selection process, as it helps employers to assess the individual’s ability, so aptitude testing is used for e.g. verbal and numerical reasoning tests by Nationwide Banking as part of their selection process. The tests measure the individual’s ability, and are presented in a multiple-choice format and have right and wrong answers, they are also timed and candidates have to work through each question as quickly and accurately as possible. They also assess if candidates have the ability undertake the role, and how they would deal with certain situations, personality tests are also used to assess how likely the candidate is to behave under certain situations. Nationwide Banking uses verbal ability tests as part of the selection process, as they want to know how well the candidate can communication, as well as numerical testing to test candidates ability for using numbers these would include basis arithmetic, number sequences etc.  Below are the pros and cons of using tests as part of the selection process.


Pros
Cons

Help employers to assess if the individual is right for the job.
Candidates can easily make up the answers.
Gives employers an idea of what type of person the candidate is.
Get someone else to do it for them.
How effective and accurate candidate is, though the tests.
Answer questions according to what they consider the employer is looking for.
Gives employers an indication of how the candidates would behave and deal with certain situations.
Can be time consuming for both employer and candidate.



-Interviews: are used as part of the selection process, where candidate are invited for an initial interview with the organisation. This is where both the employer and candidate sit down together, and discuss what the interview will consist of, and goes through the relevant paper work such as CV, qualifications, checks etc. The interviewer then goes onto asking the candidate questions relating to the job role, experience, knowledge and qualification they already obtain.  Nationwide Banking asks a range of questions such as open and closed, situational question etc. The interview assesses the candidate’s ability and matches their skills, qualification and experience and candidates are asked competency based questions. Below are the pros and cons of interviews.

Pros
Cons

Help employers to assess if the individual is right for the job.
Interviewers tend to stereotype.
Gives employers an idea of the candidate.
Can discriminate against age, or disability.
Gives employers an idea to see if they are recruiting the right person for the job.


-          Role play: is used as part of the selection process for Nationwide Banking. Role plays are used as it shows the employer how well the candidates can communicate the message across effectively, and how they will deal with the situation. For Nationwide Banking Cashier and Customer Service Advisor roles they use role play scenarios as part of the selection process. For e.g. a script with information of a customer who is just going on holiday with his partner, and is moving house and partner is having a baby. Nationwide wants to see if the candidate can use this information and sell their products and services to the customer for e.g. it shows the customer is going on holiday so Nationwide wants to know if the candidate would ask if they might be interested in travel insurance, and as you can see they are moving house offer them a home insurance package to suit their needs and as they are having a baby they might also be interested in life insurance. Role play scenarios have become more common over the years and employers use them as part of their selection process. Companies such as Nationwide Banking would like to see if candidate can use the information provided and offer the right products and services to customers and make a sale. This would also help the company to see if the candidate is potentially interested and enthusiastic in the role as well as seeing if they can communicate effectively and see how they would deal with the situation. Below is a table of the pros and cons of role play scenarios used as part of selection process.




Pros
Cons

Help employers to assess if the individual is right for the job.
Interviewers tend to stereotype.
Gives employers an idea of the candidate.
Candidate might not know what to expect.
See how well candidate can communicate.



Effective interview I took part in: B&Q
An interview that I thought  was quite effective, was  when I applied for a job role as a customer service advisor for my local B& Q  store, I applied online and submitted my CV, within a week I was called up as I passed the first stage and was selected to undertake their interview process. I arrived for my interview promptly and went to the customer service desk, and was seen straightaway, I did not have to wait around for a long time, I felt the interview process was structured as opposed to others I have had, and I got called into the office where the interview was going to held. My initial impression was that I thought the company employed friendly and helpful workers, I was greeted by the interviewer in a friendly manner, and was told what the interview process was going to consist of, the interview went on for an hour which I felt was quite long, and it consisted of a one-to-one interview, numeracy test and an observation test on the shop floor. I went into the office where the interview was going to take place and the interviewer checked my qualifications etc, then told me I had to conduct a numeracy test which was timed and I had to answered basic mathematic questions quickly and accurately within 10 minutes, then once completed I had to start the interview where I was given interview questions relating to the job role, such as why I applied for the job, what I knew about the job, my experience, qualifications etc. I had one person interviewing me whilst the other was taking notes, then once that was completed I was asked how I would deal with a certain situation and once I done the interview I got a clipboard which was I had to go on to the shop floor and observe the workers, and make notes and see how they were like for e .g. were they customer friendly, did they give eye contact etc. Then I had to go down one of the aisle and make notes of the products, in terms of product, price, place and promotion. Then I was taken back upstairs and was told that if I was successful I would be contacted within a week which I was.  The selection process was very long however I felt it was quite structured and effective, as the company got enough information about me and they assessed my ability to match the job with my skills and experience. I felt the interviewer listened to my answers carefully and overall I felt that B&Q selection process is quite effective as opposed to others I have been too as this was well structured and professional.

Below is a print screen taken from B&Q website, for the job role I applied for, showing what type of people they look for.  As you can see they want people who are passionate about customer service, people who can take responsibility, work within a team etc.



 
Recommendations of how B&Q can improve its selection process:
·         Make sure that the company minimises stereotyping candidates and making judgements of people in the interview process, by making sure that interviewer are given a job description and person specification as the lack of information on hand the interviewer is more likely to stereotype candidates for the role.
·         Make sure that questions are job related and make sure that all candidates are asked the same set of questions.
·         Interviewers should be trained well to undertake the interview and selection process and make sure they have good interviewing skills and know what type of question to ask and avoid, and be able to put candidates at ease as they are already stressed.

Conclusion: Overall the selection process for any organisation is important in order get the right person for the job. Organisations have to consider the job requirement, and make it clear what the job role consists of in the job description, and the person specification what skill, and experience the company is looking for. The selection process varies for companies and job role. The selection process is about recruiting the right individual for employment. This involves matching organisational requirements, with the right skills and qualifications. Effective selection could be achieved through having effective matching criteria. By selecting the right candidates the organisation has to measure employees’ performance, by doing this they can ensure that the organisation faces less absenteeism and improve turnover. Ensuring the right candidate is recruited for the position, it will save the company time and money in the long run.




References:
[1] Mullins, L. (2007) Management & Organisational Behaviour:  8th edition. Harlow: Prentice Hall.
[2] Simpson, M (2012) PowerPoint.
[3] B&Q Careers [Online] Available From: www.diy.com/diy/jsp/corporate/content/careers/index.jsp [Accessed 4th April 2012]
[4] Employee Selection Process- [Online] Available From: http://www.managementstudyguide.com/employee-selection-process.htm [Accessed 4th April 2012]
[5] Nationwide selection process [Online] Available From: www.nationwide-jobs.co.uk/ [Accessed 4th April 2012]

1 comment:

  1. Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well. Auto Insurance Discounts

    ReplyDelete